Our children have been exposed to teachers who are respected in their faculty areas and who have instilled a love of learning, particularly in the sciences, in them through their enthusiasm and expertise. In his HSC year my son and his classmates had access to a wide range of out of school hours tutoring at no added expense. This was valuable not only academically but also in terms of keeping him motivated. The College offers links with the local universities. One of my daughters had the opportunity to work with a medical student to complete a science project, and another learned effective study skills for her HSC.
“I am the 2014 Australian of the Year winner for the NT Local Hero. I have a charity formed called Out of the Shadows Inc. that works with depression and the prevention of suicide. I walked from Alice Springs to Adelaide to raise awareness of mental health in Australia and all the money raised went to the RFDS here in the Territory. I have also just recently won the Pride of Australia medal for Care and compassion here in the NT. I moved back to the Alice just after leaving school in 1986 and have never looked back. I am always so very proud of my high school and thought you may want to know about what I have been up to. I am on the school’s Facebook page and love looking at all the things the current students are achieving. Also looked through the staff pictures and could not believe the teachers that are still there after so many years.”
- My children have been given unique opportunities to grow into productive young adults at Westport.
- They have learned to accept and respect others through the inclusive nature of the school, where every student is valued and encouraged to participate in all aspects of school life.
- Each of my three children has had the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of activities ranging from academic, sporting, cultural and community focused. All have been able to choose something different from their siblings that interested them.
- Westport has also taught my children to look at how they can meet the needs of others within the school and the wider community.
- My children have received, and are still receiving, a quality education at Westport which will set them up to succeed in their chosen fields once they leave school.
"The guidance, support and excellence in teaching that I experienced at Westport High School had such a strong and positive impact on my life that I changed my career choice (engineering) and am now pursuing a career in high school education, specifically science/maths. I want to be a positive role model for students in the future in the same way my teachers were for me."
Kathryn Cooper, Class of 2012, studying at Sydney University